Preserve The Historic Paramount

 

 

 

The HISTORIC PARAMOUNT THEATRE BUILDING in PALM BEACH opened as a movie theatre January 9, 1927

 

 

                               

1933 photo courtesy of the Historical Society of Palm Beach County

 

 

In 1974 the Paramount Theatre was added to the

National Register of Historic Places in Washington, D.C. and

in 1982 it was designated a Town Landmark by the Town of Palm Beach.

 

 

For 83 years the Paramount has survived demolition attempts and numerous hurricanes and today serves as a prime example of ADAPTIVE REUSE, the adaption of a historic building for new uses while retaining its historic features.

 

 

The Paramount Building is now home to 30 tenants, including art galleries,

clothing stores, jewelry stores, a wine merchant, a beauty salon and offices for real estate companies and 9 non-profit organizations, including the

Civic Association, the Citizens Association, the Palm Beach Police Foundation,

Hospice Foundation and Johns Hopkins University.

 

 

The long and colorful history of this grand picture palace has been

preserved through a Historic Photographic Exhibit

open to the public daily without charge.  

 

 

More than 2,000 first-run-movies were shown at the Paramount between

1927 and 1980, the year the theatre closed as a movie house.

 

 

Charitable events brought in the biggest names in show business to the

Paramount Theatre stage.  This site is dedicating to reflecting on the movies,

the events and the people of the Paramount Theatre through the years.

 

 

Maintaining the historic landmarked exterior features has created a huge dilemma for this much beloved building.  A recent mandate by the Palm Beach Landmarks Preservation Commission and Code Enforcement has necessitated a

fundraising campaign to maintain and preserve this landmark.

Many local newspaper articles chronicle this campaign and can be found in

the link entitled "Newspaper Articles." 

 

 

Donations are greatly needed and greatly appreciated

and can be made directly to the

"Preserve The Historic Paramount Fund."